Thursday, March 8, 2018

Lassoing Spring Flowers


Spring is finally here and I'm in love with these two pieces, both perfect for transitioning into warmer weather. The pleated skirt is Burda Style 01/2018 #121 and the knit top is a modified version of Burda 6848. Both of the beautiful fabrics are from Roz at Sew Much Fabric and each gave just the result I had in mind.

The inverted pleats of the Burda skirt needed a fabric with some body to achieve fullness without bulk.



This Italian cotton broadcloth called Greystone Lassoed Flowers was just ideal and lovely to sew with. Crisp without being stiff and it presses like a dream.  Predominately a palette of khaki and grey, it's also steeped in sage with touches of apricot. Just my colors!



I pleated out some of the excess before cutting the lining pieces



Finishing touches are the rayon lining and my favorite Petersham ribbon waistband treatment:




And now on to the Tangelo rayon knit top. Well, it's orange. Need I say more!? This is an 11 oz. rayon/spandex with 75% stretch in both directions. I knew I wanted a wrap top but also more coverage than any I had made in the past. I spotted Burda 6848 while pattern shopping and thought I'd give it a try:



I made View A but added a little experiment to it. I wasn't crazy about the wide band at the waist and decided to replace that with long ties that would wrap the waist and tie in front. I cut two 6" wide strips the width of the fabric, joined them to make one long piece, sewed the bodice to it and voila, a wrap shirt. And a favorite it shall become!



Fits great in the back, as well:



In my closet this outfit will be easy to accessorize. I'm really looking forward to wearing it!


Thanks for stopping by and see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment