Friday, January 13, 2017

Cheers to Wardrobe Basics!



One of the main staples of any wardrobe is a basic, button-up shirt. My favorite is the Sewaholic Granville. Although Sewaholic patterns are drafted for a pear shape, which I am definitely not, I have successfully tweaked this pattern with an FBA and a slimming down through the waist and hips. Now, it is my go-to shirt pattern. I also like to make my shirts more of a tunic length. Just a personal preference.



As an addition to Roz's Wardrobe Basics series for Sew Much Fabric, I made this shirt from a metallic linen that was a joy to sew with. Can had linen have drape? This one does! It's been a long time since I've so enjoyed shirt-making and I attribute it to this great fabric.



Since I had a neutral palette to work with I decided to experiment on an idea that is in keeping with my new found obsession with all things Moroccan. When I returned home from Marrakech in November I had the embroidery module to my Bernina waiting for me. I'm self taught and I've been experimenting all over the place. I found these Moroccan buttonholes and knew they were meant for this metallic linen.


The buttons I found on Etsy and took a chance on them but their absolutely perfect!


Okay, I reviewed the jean jacket on Pattern Review but didn't blog about it so it's making a debut here, as well. The 100% cotton denim also came from Sew Much Fabric and it has a great weight, perfect for behaving with steam and for setting snaps but it's not stiff. It's comfortable to wear. Again, along with my obsession with the colors of Morocco and now my embroidery module I went a little crazy and did a motif for the back of my jacket.



I love being able to add these two great basics to my wardrobe! Thanks, Roz!

13 comments:

  1. I love your shirt, and especially love those buttonholes. I can't believe you're doing such great designs with your embroidery module after only having it since November! I got mine last summer but have felt a bit intimidated by it. You're an inspiration to me to be braver and pull that thing out and try it! Did you get that buttonhole design online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, what a nice note and thank you for that compliment! Honestly, I attribute any of my success to the fact that I don't know the rules so I can't break any of them. The buttonhole design came from Urban designs. I find her designs very inspiring. Thanks again, dorcas

      Delete
  2. Wow! Both pieces are such a great tribute to your trip. The fabric for that shirt is exquisite. The buttons and buttonholes couldn't be any better. Wonderful job all around as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy! I don't think I'm going to recover from this Moroccan fever. 🐪

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't call either of those two pieces "basic" - they're stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing a great job with embroidering. I have not embroidered anything a long long time.Your placements of designs is half the battle with embroidering and your buttonhole placements looks great. Love the shirt and no I have not known linen to be drapey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I was bound and determined to conquer placement. I'm sure my methods aren't proper but they work!

      Delete
  5. You knocked this out of the park!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dorcas,
    I wish I had seen such hip Moroccan garments in Morocco! Those buttonholes are enviable my friend. You are rocking the Kasbah for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, Sarah! What a great comment! I keep thinking I need to import goods, maybe I need to export!

      Delete