Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Patent Leather Pencil Skirt


I love this skirt! This is a faux leather from Sew Much Fabric that is over-embroidered with a damask pattern and it is SO much fun to wear. It made its debut Saturday night at a birthday dinner at the new Mastro's Houston and everyone raved about it.
 
Honestly,  I really wondered how this fabric would behave while I was sewing with it and I was so pleased when it went together with no problems whatsoever. I thought a walking foot might be needed but I sewed a sample with my standard presser foot and it worked just fine on the rayon backing and so I went with it:



And pressing was not the least bit problematic. I used an organza press cloth and did my pressing from the inside and it pressed remarkably well. Here are the back darts:


And the darts from the right side perfectly pressed and crisp:


I used my usual Petersham ribbon waistband:


I used Susan Khalje's pattern The Straight Skirt and I've made it several times but I know this one is going to quickly become one of my favorite wardrobe pieces. Give this fabric a try when you want to whip up something edgy and fun! My top is Burda 6990 in stretch velvet.

 
Thanks for reading and see you again soon!

6 comments:

  1. I love this skirt ! Of course your Bernina handled this very well. Great job on skirt. & top -sew inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so on trend! You wear it well! And a very Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Ruth!! A major compliment from the Glamazon herself! XOXO

      Delete